How to Safely Co-Exist on the Road with People on Bikes and other Vulnerable Road Users
Inspired by similar efforts in other states and supported by the NC Governor’s Highway Safety Program, the NC Bicycle Friendly Driver Program provides important information to help motorists safely co-exist with bicyclists and other vulnerable road users.
“This workshop is fantastic and I literally want to share it with everyone!”
“Great presentation, I learned quite a lot–a few things I had never heard of.”
This interactive (and even entertaining) workshop discusses:
- Motorist driving habits that impact people who bike and pedestrians;
- Explanation of common bicyclist practices;
- How to avoid common crashes between motorists and vulnerable road users;
- Active transportation infrastructure (like bike lanes); and
- Complete Streets concepts.
Here are a few key details:
- Both in-person and online options are available.
- In-person sessions are recommended for a more interactive experience. Online sessions are available for larger or geographically distanced groups.
- Session times range depending on format.
- Our “Lunch and Learn” format: 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Our full training (with free membership to BikeWalk NC): 1.5-2 hours.
- Sessions are tailored to include local county information and can be tailored for specific motorist populations (e.g. young drivers, commercial drivers, etc.).
To learn more about this Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The North Carolina Bicycle Friendly Driver Program is made possible with grant funding from the NC Governor’s Highway Safety Program
The following resources are intended to help motorists understand how to operate safely around bicyclists.
- Safe Motoring around Bicyclists – A detailed discussion of best operating practices
- Why Bicyclists Ride the Like They Do – A quick guide for curious motorists
- How to Pass a Bicyclist – What they didn’t teach in driver ed
- Sharing the Road with Bicyclists – Briefing slides – See also the speaker notes for this presentation
- Important NC Traffic Laws Related to Bicycling – A summary of the basics