7th Annual NC Bike/Walk Summit
October 19-20, Raleigh NC
Raleigh Convention Center
COMMUNITIES MOVING FORWARD!
The 2018 NC Bike/Walk Summit promises to be packed full of information useful to bicycle advocates, transportation planners, business owners, elected officials, tactical urbanists, public health practitioners, and livability and sustainability professionals. Experts from across the state and beyond will be on hand to share their knowledge and experience. The mission of the summit is to:
• Foster collaboration between North Carolina’s various bicycle and walking movements, efforts, and endeavors;
• Educate local government staff, bicycle & pedestrian advocates, and policy leaders;
• Promote bicycling and walking as valid forms of transportation and as economic drivers; and
• Highlight North Carolina’s dedication toward becoming a premier walkable, bicycling-friendly state.
Let’s pedal together and hear about COMMUNITIES MOVING FORWARD!
We are excited to announce our local hosts:
The theme this year is
Communities Moving Forward
with focus on:
*** Health & Equity ***
***Economic Benefits & Return on Investments ***
***Complete Streets/Vision Zero/SRTS***
DRAFT GENERAL SCHEDULE BELOW
October 18th – Thursday
- Traffic Bicycling for Transportation Professionals (open to first 20 registrants, separate fee, last option under “Tickets” in Registration)
- Location: Walnut Creek Wetland Center, Raleigh
- Time: 8am to 6pm
Oriented toward transportation engineers, planners, and police, but open to all adults, this intensive 9-hour in-class and on-bike training course teaches the fundamentals of safe, efficient, and lawful bicycle driving in urban traffic. Participants will learn to improve their bike handling skills, increase their confidence in motor vehicle traffic, and improve their understanding of how state traffic laws support successful bicycling. Common bicyclist crash types will be examined in the context of defensive bicycling practices. Implications for transportation planning, facility design, and law enforcement will also be discussed. Completion of this course is equivalent to completion of the League of American Bicyclists’ Smart Cycling class (formerly known as Traffic Skills 101). This workshop is presented by BikeWalk NC board member Steven Goodridge and LCI Trung Vo. Complete workshop details are available at: http://www.bikewalknc.org/traffic-bicycling-for-transportation-professionals.
- 7pm Meet-Up at Crank Arm Brewery
October 19 – Friday
- Location: Raleigh Convention Center
- Begins at 9:30am with a Plenary Session – Keynotes invited on our themes: Vision Zero and Complete Streets (including SRTS), Equity and Health, Economic Benefits and Return on Investment
- Reception: 5:30-7:30 Tentatively at the new Raleigh Union Station
- Post Reception Meetup: 7:30-9:30 The Transfer Station (**New Venue**)
- October 20 – Saturday
- Location: Raleigh Convention Center
- Begins with morning Plenary followed by Breakout Sessions, and concludes at noon. Possible workshops on
- Bicycle Friendly Driver Training
- New NCDOT Complete Streets Training Overview
- Trails Grant Workshop from State Trust Funds and Recreational Trails Program
- Additional Breakout Sessions
- Mobile Sessions will be held in the afternoon, tentatively being considered:
- Fall Colors Ride
- Brewery Tour
- West St. CycleTrack and Other Innovative Infrastructure Tour
Here is the 2018 Sponsorship Package.
Here is the overview summary example from 2017 SCHEDULE WITH BREAKOUT SESSIONS
Detailed Program example from 2017 – CLICK HERE: 2017 NC BIKE/WALK SUMMIT PROGRAM
Mobile tour participants will need to sign a waiver form – see here: Summit Waiver Form FINAL
REGISTRATION COMING SOON!!!
FIRST 100 REGISTRANTS get complimentary Bike/Walk Summit custom designed DeFeet Socks (courtesy of DeFeet!)